xsl-list

RE: Using not(...a nd ... ) to select nodes

2003-07-10 14:59:06
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com

Chris,

Well, it's true I made a couple of assumptions (based on your
description)
about how your input data looks. To wit: that the values you
are checking
are all element children of the nodes you are testing (and not, for
example, attributes).

That is correct. They are elements and not attributes.

Could we see a snippet of input data to confirm whether this
is the case?

        <items>
                <item>
                        <name>Backpack</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>true</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="2"/>
                        <weight>2 lb.</weight>
                </item>
                <item>
                        <name>Arrows (20)</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>false</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="1"/>
                        <weight>3 lb.</weight>
                </item>
                <item>
                        <name>Arrows (20)</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>true</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="1"/>
                        <weight>3 lb.</weight>
                </item>
                <item>
                        <name>Arrows (20)</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>true</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="1"/>
                        <weight>3 lb.</weight>
                </item>
                <item>
                        <name>Arrows (20)</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>false</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="1"/>
                        <weight>3 lb.</weight>
                </item>
                <item>
                        <name>Arrows (20)</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>true</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="1"/>
                        <weight>3 lb.</weight>
                </item>
                <item>
                        <name>Backpack</name>
                        <type>Goods</type>
                        <carried>false</carried>
                        <cost name="gp" value="2"/>
                        <weight>2 lb.</weight>
                </item>
        </items>

Yes, it's true preceding-sibling::* returns all preceding
siblings. But the predicate expression filters this list. The trick is
to get
the filter right.

Ok.. You just went over my head there with "predicate expression", but
I'm game to learn... :)

(BTW, I realize it's "carried" and not "status" as I used in my earlier
example... I changed the example you sent to reflect the correct node
name)

Thanks toboth you and Charles for trying to figure my
blatherings/problem out.

Chris