xsl-list

RE: XML architectures [was Re: xsl:sort in old MSXML]

2003-07-02 11:16:55
Wendell,

Yeah, I agree on the last, but I didn't figure it out at the very first
beggining, when I read the Marcus Andersson first msg  and Michael last reply
to it, and recallin other msgs, that somehow it always came out this
architectural issue (some one could read it "implementation problems") that I
had some doubts about it.

"I can see clearly now" as the song says, but I still have some concerns (I can
live with them for a while).

Claudio.

PS: Excuse all for my bad english ("The Former") :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendell Piez [mailto:wapiez(_at_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]
Sent: Miércoles, 02 de Julio de 2003 01:51 p.m.
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: XML architectures [was Re: [xsl] xsl:sort in old MSXML]

At 12:01 PM 7/2/2003, Olivier wrote:
Maybe Claudio need to transform XML data island embedded in HTML files.

Just a guess.

Be warned, however, that this approach *is* proprietary ... pioneered at MS
and implemented in no one else's browser....

Claudio, it might also help to see that in the three approaches mentioned
so far:

batch transform
server-side (dynamic) transform
client-side transform

the underlying architecture is the same.

XML --> transform --> formatted output (HTML, PDF, whatever)

The differences are in *where* and *when* the middle piece happens.

A batch model (do all the processing on your home system ahead of time; all
the world sees a traditional HTML site) is the most "primitive" but most
stable, dependable and scalable. Server-side solutions are more and more
available, work quite well, and can support some kinds of interaction
impossible in the batch model; but they do require special software on the
server. (In the batch model you run your transformations outside of the web
server, as David has described.) Client-side solutions are appealing in
theory, but slow to materialize in the market, especially in a
browser-independent form -- partly because they require special software on
the client.

XML "data islands" use quite a different architecture ... they wrap a
client-side transform in a JScript/VB scripted HTML package, and deliver
that. They work only in MSIE (to my knowledge).

It's a pity we didn't rename this thread. How will we ever find it?

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez