xsl-list

RE: xsl:sort in old MSXML

2003-07-02 07:07:05

Sorry, I don't think I've confused. I understand Saxon is an
XSLT processor implementation, as well as MSXML. But going
this path seems (as I said, from the msgs I read in this
forum) that incorportes also other features that are not

those features are optional to use, take a look at www.exslt.org when using
such extension functions and addressing concerns of portability across
different XSLT processors

available in other processors though going to get errors when
processing under different environments (for instance, the
clients that do not have MSXML installed on their machine
will not be able to see the trasnformation, and I guess the
same occurs with Saxon).

well use u could design an app that takes advantage of client side processing,
or just have everything server side.

Probably all the confusion stands in that I still don't get
the architecture of the whole paradigm.

XML ---> XSLT ---> HTML/PDF/WAP/etc.
(1)       (2)       (3)

thats why i said to just start using it, go through examples, buy a book, goto
www.dpawson.co.uk and learn some of the fundamentals.

(1) could be in server side, client side or both?

yes to both

(2) could be in server side, client side or both?
Where does (2) takes place? in server side, client side or both?

these types of questions really are not about architecture, but 'where' xslt
processing takes place, which could be in both the client or server...its up to
you to decide where.

If (2) takes place in server side, do I need to have
Saxon/MSXML/"other processor" in the server?

well, yes.....I think that u may be thinking that xslt is somehow bounded to
html browsers....they are not, it just so happens that xslt is supported in IE
and Mozilla, which is great.

If (2) takes place in client side, does the client machine
need to have Saxon/MSXML/"other processor" installed on it?

wherever XSLT processing takes place, be it in the client or server, will
require an xslt processor to be installed.

cheers, jim
you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately. Any
disclosure, copying, distribution or any other use of this communication is
strictly prohibitedand may be unlawful. Stuart Lawrence Marketing
Communications Limited reserves the right to monitor and intercept
communications for unlawful business purposes.

This also confirms that this message has been swept for viruses, although
Stuart Lawrence Marketing Communications Limited accepts no responsibility for
any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email
or contents.