xsl-list

Re: Re: Incrementing a Global variable

2003-08-28 04:12:45

--- David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

The problem of generating serial nos
comes frequently in real world situations

Which numbering schemes would be easier with
incrementing variablesthan
with the existing xslt facilities, xsl:number,
position() count() etc.

Sorry to chip in.This discussion started with my
problem and it's still unsolved.

These numbering schemes fail together to do a simple
trivial thing.For example --- my problem(though it's
not that simple)! Which could have been done straight
away if there were some provision of incrementing a
variable in XSLT.

Beleive it or not there is a strong need of one IMHO.
there was no need of deprecating xsl:assign or fixing
a bug
 where <xsl:variable name="a" select="$a+1" />
worked some time ago.

If there were no need then nobody would have bothred
to write ft:assign to do this thing.

Ok there are some problems introducing it. But an
working extension/provision/solution is highly
recommended.

This 'll not make XSL procedural but solve problems of
both communities(saving a lot of time and energy in
reinventing the wheel),As some solutions(ft:assign
already exists (which are (may be) not
straightforward.

Currently I'm trying to integrate Americo Solution
but actual problem has not 3 but 10 columns each with
a bit complex content.I think I have to integrate all
these contents in <item vars...

Regards
Raj

I can't think of any that would justify completely
changing the nature
of the language.

David

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star
Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more
information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around
the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk