xsl-list

RE: Incrementing a Global variable

2003-08-28 01:15:17
I am not asking to introduce variables as like in
procedural languages..

Oh yes you are.

and lets assume for e.g. -- this template is being
processed at some point..
<xsl:template matche="something">
  <xsl:variable2 name="a" select="$a + 1" />
</xsl:template>

When the processor encounters the statement --
<xsl:variable2 name="a" select="$a + 1" /> it will
increment the value of "a" at a global place..

The key point is the phrase "When the processor". The effect makes the
result dependent on the order of execution.

Thanks for your reference about <xsl:for-each
select="20 to 30"> ... but I could not see it on the
XSLT 2.0 site -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/

The value of the select attribute can be any XPath 2.0 expression. "20
to 30" is an XPath 2.0 expression that returns a sequence of integers.

Michael Kay