xsl-list

RE: Incrementing a Global variable

2003-08-27 10:24:52

Though the issue about incrementing the variables has
been discussed a lot on this list, I feel if there is
a feature where some sort of variable incrmenting is
possible in XSLT, it will save lot of programming
hours producing a trivial thing as generating serial
nos. I am not suggesting to deviate from the viewpoint
that XSLT should be a functional language.

But it would deviate from that principle. It would change it from a
functional language to a procedural one, in which instructions have to
be executed in a fixed order.

Also if we can have looping constructs
which can iterate over number ranges for e.g.

for (int i=0; i < n; i++) , it will facilitate
processing loops in a diffrent way.

XSLT 2.0 allows you to do this:

<xsl:for-each select="20 to 30">
  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:for-each>

You can simulate this in 1.0 with

<xsl:for-each select="//node()[position() &lt;= 10]">
  <xsl:value-of select="position() + 20"/>
</xsl:for-each>

Michael Kay