xsl-list

RE: how to close html tags : link, meta,...

2003-08-13 06:32:17

Nope. You just cited it: it doesn't matter whether it's <div/> or
conform
to the spec.

I don't understand.  I'm it states that all element's in the xhtml dtd
that are not declared as empty should have a closing tag.  Those that
are declared as empty may or may not have a closing tag (in other words
may or may not use the empty element syntax).

It doesn't say that <div></div> should be allowed to be written as

This is straying from the point.  The point is that if <foo></foo>
and
<foo/> are identical, and MSXML decides on an identity transform to
output <foo></foo> - why can't this be made available as a command
line
choice.

Because it doesn't matter for XML?

Nor do a lot of features, but they are here and being used everyday.
Saying 'it doesn't matter for xml' is being very short sited.

It wouldn't break anyone's output, it would merely help 1000's
(probably
much more) of xslt'ers.  I simply cannot understand anyone arguing
against the addition of this.  Even the xml spec states that its
optional...
(http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-starttags).

It would help for people that try to feed XHTML into non-XHTML
compliant
browsers. Why do you try this in the first place?

I give up....