xsl-list

Re: limit count() to nodes with a position() < the postion of the current node

2003-09-09 15:01:54
Thank you Micheal.  This was my one last remaining piece of the puzzle!

Best Regards,

M.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk(_at_)mhk(_dot_)me(_dot_)uk>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 2:30 AM
Subject: RE: [xsl] limit count() to nodes with a position() &lt; the postion
of the current node

But I want to take this one step further and return the count
of all nodes
that have a position() that is less than the position of the
current node.
Taking the position() of the context node out of the equation
I thought it
would as simple as this (I used 5 as a test parameter)...

Nodes do not "have a position()". The result of the position() function
is context dependent: it returns the position of the current node in the
current node list, and the current node list depends on how you reached
the node in your processing.

I suspect that you are using "the position of a node" to mean something
like "the number of preceding siblings of the node", which is
count(preceding-sibling::node()).

Michael Kay

<xsl:key name="linkCount" match="lid[position() &lt; 5]" use="."/>

I expected it to return the count of the nodes that matched
the current
context node as long as there postion was less than 5.  But
it didn't.  It
returned the total count for the entire xml tree.

So, my questions are...  1)What do I need to change to get
the above example
to work and 2)How could I then take it one step further and use the
position() of the current context node as the parameter to
test against the
position() of the test nodes?

Your help is much appreciated!

Best Regards,