xsl-list

RE: non-breaking whitespace

2003-10-29 08:25:55
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 Jarno(_dot_)Elovirta(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:

<xsl:text>&#160</xsl:text>
Trailing SEMICOLON missing.

<xsl:text>&#xA0</xsl:text>
Again.

Finally, I managed to get
<xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">&amp;nbsp;</xsl:text> to work.

Oh, you want the general entity nbsp. If you absolute need to have the
general entity, then d-o-e is the only way, *if* your processor doesn't
output NO-BREAK SPACE characters using the nbsp entity. But you shouldn't
need to care whether you have &nbsp;, &160;, &#xA0;, or   (NO-BREAK SPACE
character as such), they're all the same character in the end (unless you've
defined a entity with the name nbsp that doesn't map to NO-BREAK SPACE).

I agree, I don't need to care whether I get an &nbsp;, &160;, &#xA0;, or
�.  My xslt processor is producing an � in the resulting HTML file, and
unfortunately that character is showing up in my browser literally
and not as a non-breaking whitespace.

Adding the semicolons above also produces an � described above.

Thank You and Best Regards,
Saverio