xsl-list

Re: Problems doing XSL Transformation using ASP - SOLVED

2003-10-11 21:13:38
Folks (Thanks Americo & Mukul for your responses)

I am using MSXML 3.0 only.  That's not the issue.  The issue was I had to
use Server.MapPath("dummy.xsl") (and for dummy.xml).  Check out MSDN help
for Server.MapPath.  Apparently "current working directory" is not known
even to the ASP.  It has to query the Server to resolve the full path of the
XML/XSL files.  This function Server.MapPath merely KNOWS the CWD so uses it
to expand the given file name to FULL PATH.  NOTE: it doesn't peform checks
on file/directory existence.

Interestingly I have seen code snippets using the file names directly in
load functions.  I believe in their environments AspEnableParentPaths would
possibly have a value of TRUE (instead of the default value of FALSE).
You'll find this information too on MSDN help for Server.MapPath.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rangarajan Calyanakoti" <crranga(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 5:41 PM
Subject: [xsl] Problems doing XSL Transformation using ASP

Folks,

I have a very simple XML, XSL file and a very simple ASP file to perform
the
XSL Transformation on the XML file using the XSL file and providing it to
any client browswer.  I get the following error.

NOTE: If I open the xml file (that is just from the client side) it works
just fine!

What am I missing???

ERROR
---------

msxml3.dll error '80004005'

The stylesheet does not contain a document element. The stylesheet may be
empty, or it may not be a well-formed XML document.

/test/vqtreport.asp, line 9

ASP FILE - dummy.asp
------------
<%@ language=javascript %>
<%
   var xslt = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XSLTemplate");
   var xslDoc = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument");
   var xslProc;
   xslDoc.async = false;
   xslDoc.resolveExternals = false;
   xslDoc.load("dummy.xsl");
   xslt.stylesheet = xslDoc;
   var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument");
   xmlDoc.async = false;
   xmlDoc.resolveExternals = false;
   xmlDoc.load("dummy.xml");
   xslProc = xslt.createProcessor();
   xslProc.input = xmlDoc;
   xslProc.transform();
   Response.Write(xslProc.output)
%>

XML FILE - dummy.xml
------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="dummy.xsl"?>

<DUMMY>
</DUMMY>

XSL FILE - dummy.xsl
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
   <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>

   <xsl:template match="/">
         <h1>Yahoooooooo</h1>
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>