xsl-list

RE: Re: XSL in HTML

2003-11-19 12:15:40
At least in the ASP world Javascript is entirely usable on the server side.
ASP lets you use pretty much any language you can use with Windows Script Host.
 Out of the box you get Javascript (or JScript as the case may be) and VBScript
(which is the default language), but you can use others (Python and Perl come
to mind immediately, but there are others).

I think I've seen some *nix tool or another that uses Javascript on the server
side there as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of
Wendell Piez
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 10:57 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: XSL in HTML

At 12:22 AM 11/19/2003, Paul wrote:
...The other way is to transform it
dynamically.  The only way I know of is using PHP's Sablotron, which is
the built-in XSLT transformation engine....

....How do non-PHP people do it?  Someone mentioned
JavaScript, which made my blood freeze in horror...

JavaScript would not be used on the server, would it? Rather, it falls on
the client-side processing side of the line.

Server-side solutions besides PHP include Apache Cocoon, which is widely
used and well-liked (open source, Java-based technology), or if you like
Python, 4Suite, a similarly-targeted web application server with good XSLT
support and a bunch of other goodies (also open source).

Check out xml.apache.org or 4Suite.org.

What did I forget?

Cheers,
Wendell