xsl-list

RE: Joining sibling tags

2003-11-18 10:34:43
I'm using a very bad XML producer (*cough*Frame*cough*) that
splits tags
when it finds one of its internal markers, resuling in stuff
like this:

How do I fix this globally for all tags in XSLT (ie combine
contents of
neighbor tags that have the same name() )?. Can I do it as a
first step
in a larger stylesheet or do I need to do it as a separate
transformation?

It's nearly always better to do one job in one stylesheet.

I suspect doing this globally will actually give you problems, but you
can try it if you want. It's a positional grouping problem, easily
solved in XSLT 2.0 with

<xsl:template match="*">
  <xsl:for-each-group select="child::node()" group-adjacent="name()">
    <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()/child::node()"/>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:for-each-group>
</xsl:template>

You haven't said what you want done with attributes, this solution drops
them.

Positional grouping in XSLT 1.0 is harder, the best approach here is
probably a recursive xsl:apply-templates along the sibling axis.

Michael Kay