xsl-list

Re: Style Sheet Editor Recommendations

2003-11-18 08:42:41
Hello Constantin,

On 18 Nov 2003 at 2:30, Constantin Vasiliu wrote:

I would like to buy a style sheet editor. I have used the free Cooktop
and also Altova's XMLSpy for the 30 day trial period. I liked XMLSpy
better (of course, given the price difference:), but was wondering if
there is a better option out there before I shell $400 at it.

I personally felt restricted by XMLSpy's stylesheet editor. It
doesn't do lots of things that  you can do when editing your
stylesheet by hand, so it's really more useful for people  who need
fairly simple stylesheets geared towards generating HTML.

I've tried out lots of different editors with various different
degrees of "WYSIWYGiness"  and now use jEdit, a free editor available
for just about every OS out there. Using jEdit's  plug-in manager you
can easily install a bunch of very useful add-ons. The XSLT plug-in
(also free) comes with an XSLT processor, does code completion,
evaluates XPath  expressions etc. Really a great editor, and the
price just can't be beaten. Check out  http://www.jedit.org .

Cheers,

Erik