xsl-list

Re: how to estimate speed of a transformation

2003-12-12 07:13:45

I wrote:
It's the only way to know what's really going on, and it will let you focus your improvements on those parts of the stylesheet that need the most attention.

David Tolpin wrote:
> It is not what many great people thought. In fact, relying on debuggers and profilers
produces poor programs. A debugger or profiler should confirm hypotheses and
assumptions,
not provide optimization data. The question is what to base hypotheses and
assumptions on.

I had a background in experimental physics before I switched to software, so I tend to favor measuring things. Throughout this thread, you seem to want to avoid measurement, and predict performance from first principals. I don't think you will ever get enough information to do that accurately, but I wish you luck.

--jeff