xsl-list

RE: real XSLT performance

2004-01-30 07:16:12
Preliminary results done in a controlled environment indicate that Saxon is
more scalable than Xalan.  These tests were done under WSAD instead of WAS,
so they are preliminary; however, the difference in scalability can be seen
from the timings under load.

The testing tool used is the Microsoft Web Application Stress Tool, which is
free and works very well. The times given below are in milliseconds and
measure the average time to do an XSLT transformation to produce an HTML
table with 6 columns and 25 rows. The time is measured from the time of the
request until the last byte of HTML is received (TTLB). The XSLT is cached
as a Templates object using JAXP. The XML is also cached as a JAXP Source
object to eliminate this as a performance criteria.

15 Threads                      25 Threads

Saxon   Xalan                   Saxon   Xalan
411     712                     434     1183

To enable Saxon, use the following code before creating a
TransformerFactory:

System.setProperty("javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory",
   "com.icl.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl");

Saxon version 6.5.3 was used for the test.

Stuart Zakon