xsl-list

Re: exsl:node-set in xalan

2004-01-17 05:23:15
I haven't had a chance to analyze this yet (and I may not be able to
this week), but one quick point is that wherever the Saxon performance
problem is, it's not actually in exsl:node-set(). That's because all
that exsl:node-set() does is to flip a bit saying that the tree can be
used as a normal document.

The problem (or opportunity for improvement!) is much more likely to be
in optimization of copying operations on trees.

An observation, on line 65 of incelim.xsl

      <xsl:copy-of select="exsl:node-set($rng)"/>

there is no need for a call on exsl:node-set() here. You can copy an RTF
directly.

Michael,

I've followed your suggestion and fixed the typo -- it was an oversight on my
side instead. Note, though, that this operation is only executed once
per the stylesheet, and as you said, the only thing node-set() does is to
flip a bit.

The execution time didn't change at all, and it should not change.

David