xsl-list

RE: Preserving newline / multi-lines in element content

2004-01-15 03:52:25
I think you will find that XSLT is preserving the newlines but the web
browser is throwing them away. Newlines in HTML are equivalent to
spaces. You either need to convert the newlines to <br> (for which there
are plenty of examples in the archives), or to wrap a <pre> element
around the text.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
smallcog(_at_)thisbetterworld(_dot_)org
Sent: 15 January 2004 09:11
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Preserving newline / multi-lines in element content

 Hello,

I have an xml file which is generated from a web-interface
which allows the user to input a textfield containing newline
characters, i.e. multi-line text. So my xml file can have the
following type of content

<TEXT>the user can input
more than one line
in the multiline textfield</TEXT>

When I run an XSLT on this the new-lines are automatically
suppressed and I end up with one long line. The section of
xsl that I use to handle this
is:

<xsl:value-of select="TEXT"/>

Can someone tell me how to preserve the multiline aspect of
the original input, and the xml document resulting from that.

TIA / Colm