xsl-list

Re: Translating XSD into an XSLT, experts approach needed

2004-02-25 02:33:30

Daniel Bryant wrote:

I am currently working on my final year dissertation for a degree in
computing. My dissertation involves the automatic translation of an XSD into
an XSLT that will display an XML document compliant to the XSD as an XHTML
web page.

So, you actually need a two step transformation:

1) An XSLT that will use an W3C XML Schema document and produce an XML document that conforms to that schema

2) A generic XSLT that will render that result XML document into XHTML for rendering pyrposes.

The good news is you dont have to do 2 because it is already implemented in Mozilla (produces XHTML markup AFAIK). IE also has a similar feature build in. So, you can leave this part completely or reuse one of these stylesheets explicitly.

Some efforts exist to perform step one, but none is complete AFAIK. Try to google on the subject, also use xsd2xml as keyword. Reusing opensource workj should be ok but ask.

> As part of my research I have to investigate and document how a
human expert approaches the task of translating an XSD into an XSL document.

There is no right way of doing this, as the XSD semantics are not always complete (from your projects point of view), for example the root element is not explicit in an XSD schema.

hth,

--
Manos Batsis

http://www.netsmart.gr
mailto:mbatsisSPAM_TRAP(_at_)netsmart(_dot_)gr
tel:+302103240940
http://forte.netsmart.gr/foaf/manos_foaf.rdf