xsl-list

RE: Debugging XSLT

2004-02-04 13:18:45
From owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com  Wed Feb  4
16:26:23 2004
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk(_at_)mhk(_dot_)me(_dot_)uk>
To: <xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com>
Subject: RE: [xsl] Debugging XSLT
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:04:27 -0000

There are tools to analyze data in XSLT; they are XPath
predicates. They are enough to make assertions about a
program's input and output within the model of the language.

produce valid XHTML? Since a schema for XHTML already exists, isn't it
rather simpler just to refer to it?

Michael,

no. It is not. There is no such  thing as document type in XSLT except
for the validation kludge. I believe that it cannot be added to the
language as it has been done. Either a document type is  a part of the
language, and that would be very unfortunate to have XML Schema used
for that, with its errata exceeding in size the specification; or
it should not be done within the language.

How can I assert that the stylesheet produces a nice-looking XHTML?
Since browsers for XHTML already exist, isn't it rather simple
to just launch a browser from XSLT 2.0 stylesheet and just see
whether the result is nice?

Both of us realize that hte latter is nonsense.  I hope so.
But referring to  XML Schema from XSLT is exactly the same nonsense.

David Tolpin