xsl-list

Re: Printing xml to paper and pdf

2004-02-04 12:26:56

I think my question was written poorly, what I am trying to do is use my
xslt to tranform my xml to html for screen (already accomplished) and to a
print friendly page and also to pdf.

Can xslt transform xml to pdf? and if so, how do you do that?

I'm not sure that this list is the right forum for this question,  but
since
I work with printers I will help you out as best I can.

First of all getting the transformed document to print directly to paper
is
going to depend on the target printer not the XML and XSLT tools you are
using.  Your best bet is to find a printer that understands PDF and/or
HTML
directly.  Several major manufacturers devices do this.  I know that both
Lexmark and HP printers can print PDF directly.  Xerox, IBM and other
major
brands may be able to but you should check.

If your target printer has this feature then just transform your document
PDF and send it directly to the printer via FTP, HTTP, a direct socket
connection or something similar.

Some transform tools give you the option to transform to PostScript of PCL
so this might also be an option since almost all laser printers include
either PostScript or PCL.

Clay Hensley