xsl-list

XPath statement for traversing a nested node structure

2004-02-04 12:40:07
I need some assistance with traversing a nested xml input file structure.

I need to determine between the begining of one nested structure and another the number of occurances of a particular element.

Example:

<TABLE><DPROW><OBJECT></OBJECT></DPROW></TABLE> would yield an occurance of one OBJECT element using the XPath statement DPROW/OBJECT.

The above XPath statement falls apart though when I introduce nested structures.

<TABLE><DPROW><OBJECT></OBJECT><TABLE><DPROW><OBJECT></OBJECT><OBJECT></OBJECT></DPROW></TABLE></DPROW></TABLE>
Inner most TABLE element has two OBJECT elements and the outer TABLE element would yield one OBJECT element.

What is a valid XPath statement need for traversing the nested xml structure above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Scott