xsl-list

RE: Long string - inserting a space after every 10 characters

2004-02-04 02:07:42
XPath 2.0 solution:

string-join(
  for $i in 0 to (string-length($s) idiv 10)
    return substring($s, $i*10+1, $i*10+11), " ")

Not tested.

Michael Kay

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
allan(_dot_)mccluskey(_at_)centrelink(_dot_)gov(_dot_)au
Sent: 04 February 2004 06:59
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Long string - inserting a space after every 10
characters

Hi,

Is it possible to insert a space in a string (of unknown
length) after a specified number of characters e.g. after
every 10 characters insert a space??

I have an XML element called <name> which can be anywhere
between 1 and 50 characters long. I need to either split it
(by inserting a <BR/> tag) or inserting a space (&#160;)
after every 10 characters.

Example1:
<name>Thisisareallyreallylongnamedontyouthink</name>

Would look like:
Thisisarea<BR/>llyreallyl<BR/>ongnamedon<BR/>tyouthink

OR /

Example2
<name>Thisisanotherexceptionallylongname</name>

Would loook like: Thisisanot&#160;herexcepti&#160;onallylong&#160;name

Many, many thanks
Al

Important:  This e-mail is intended for the use of the
addressee and may contain information that is confidential,
commercially valuable or subject to legal or parliamentary
privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you are
notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or
dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by
several Commonwealth Acts of Parliament.  If you have
received this communication in error please notify the sender
immediately and delete all copies of this transmission
together with any attachments.