xsl-list

RE: date-time formatting question

2004-02-03 18:07:55
Actually, for getting the month name, you probably will have to write a
template.  I said exslt before verifying they supported that function.
However, it sounds like you have a lot of date/time needs, so you may
want to look at what they offer.  The documentation and categorization
is pretty decent.

In the case of month names, you will need to enumerate them(which is
what I proposed to you alternatively).

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Bruce
D'Arcus
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 4:03 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] date-time formatting question

On Feb 3, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Kenny Akridge wrote:

I would go with exslt if at all possible.

Thanks all!  Kenny, why the above?  What's the advantage there?  And if
it's a superior solution, I still need a suggestion on how to actually
use it :-)

My question was prompted by a general need for this sort of formatting,
but also a specific one to do with bibliographic formatting, where you
have citations like (Doe, 1999) and where years and month-day are often
separated (as in my example), and month can either be spelled out in
full, or abbreviated.

At some point this needs be international-friendly as well so that one
can specify a language parameter can get proper output.

I understand some xslt processors have built-in support for exslt
dates-and-times, but I don't really understand the pros-and-cons of
using this as opposed to the solution Charles posted.

Bruce