xsl-list

Re: hard problem

2004-02-01 12:20:42
Can't this be combined with David Tolpin's clever tool for dynamic
determination of the type of an xml document (which of a number of schemas
this document satisfies) and based on this result to apply the appropriate
transformation?

In case if each document has its own unique default namespace then a
multitude of stylesheets can be imported (each containing templates for the
transformation of a specific type of document) and a simple

     <xsl:apply-templates select="/*"/>

is all what is needed.

So, all documents will be processed by the same central stylesheet, which
imports all other stylesheets that may be involved in the processing...
(wouldn't something like "import just-in-time" be marvelous!).

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev
FXSL developer,

"Michael Kay" <mhk(_at_)mhk(_dot_)me(_dot_)uk> wrote in message
This looks like a good use case for an extension function transform(doc,
stylesheet) which can be invoked from XSLT and returns the result of
transforming a document using a given stylesheet.

Such a function has been suggested from time but I've never seen a
convincing use case for it before.

Michael Kay