xsl-list

hard problem

2004-02-01 09:31:25
Hi,

I have a really hard problem. Imagine you have a set of publications,
consisting of books, articles, PhDThesises,... all modeled in XML(and
corresponding XSD) files. All those publications have different
characteristics, like different elements,...Every publication class is
linked with a specialized XSL File for visualization purposes, for
example a book with an ISBN Number is displayed differnt from an
article,... Every publication is saved in it's own file.

Now I want to create a list of all those publications without creating
an XSL file with too much overhead. In common object oriented
programming languages like Java I would say OK every Object in my list
knows how to visualize, so I just call every object's visualization
method and I have created the list. But unfortunately this is XML and
not Java ;-(
So far my list consisted of several Xlinks pointing to the publication
XML files. A specialized list.xsl file visualized those links and when
you klicked the links, the spezialized publication visualization opened.
But what I want to do now is to make something like to call the
publication's visualizer. In my opinion xlink:show="embed" would be a
very simple solution to my problem but as I know this function is not
implemented yet in browsers like Mozilla. Does anyone have some
suggestions? Maybe something like simulating the xlink:show="embed"
functionality on XSL level (in the list.xsl) could be a solution?!

Best regards,
Nick