xsl-list

Re: Symbol handling in XSLT

2004-03-25 05:51:38

Sorry I missed your final paragraph.

Yes I was thinking like a character lookup table for these symbols, or a way of using the entity character reference as well as the XSLT decimal character refwerence.

---
Alex

Jarno(_dot_)Elovirta(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:

Hi,

Oner of our XSLT pages has been outputing a question mark where a bullet would have been expected.

Are you sure it really is a QUESTION MARK, or is it a bullet character and the
program you use to view the document either uses the wrong encoding, e.g. UTF-8
vs. ISO-8859-1, or could it be that the font you use doesn't have a glyph for
the bullet character and displays it as a question mark.
I say a bullet would have been expected because we have another page which was showing the bullet snd not the question mark, and that page doesn't use XSLT for the transformation.

As it is dificult to determine which characters might get input in the XML is there a way of handling symbols at least as accurately as the straight HTML page?

I don't understand the question. Does accuracy mean using entitiy references?
If determing which characters you have in your input XML documents, you should
probably get an editor/viewer that loads the document using the correct
character encoding and also can display non-ASCII characters correctly.

Cheers,

Jarno - Delerium: Koran