xsl-list

RE: Dmoz xml structure sort

2004-04-21 12:37:58
Gotcha,
What im attempting to do is to create a well structured "sitemap" for
pulling breadcrumbs and navigation for a medium and large sites using xsl.

I copied DMOZ structure thinking it would be efficient but am finding its
not.

So what I did next it divide everything into directories
But that doesn't seem to be the way to go either. I'm looking into the
TopicMaps, seems what I'm looking for. But then I run into the problem of
sorting thru that to pull back my menus and breadcrumbs again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob(_at_)koberg(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 1:12 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Dmoz xml structure sort

John Hamman wrote:
I love it, great solution.

Question though,
Is there a way to apply this idea to this structure?

I am not clear on exactly what you are asking (and if you are asking me).

First, are you familiar with Topic Maps?  Here is an article:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/11/topicmaps.html
this might be what you are trying to do.

If I guess at your full question that you want to use the example XSL I
provided to style your Topics structure, then what I had shown is not
really a match for your non-hierarchical structure. I believe it is not
the best structure. Are you equating the file system with the ID
strings? For example, you have:

<Topic r:id="Base/General_Information">
   <tag catid="2"/>
   <d:Title local="en-US">General Information</d:Title>
   <near resource="Base/General_Information/Staff_Directory"/>
</Topic>

<Topic r:id="Base/General_Information/Staff_Directory">
   <tag catid="8"/>
   <d:Title local="en-US">Staff Directory</d:Title>
</Topic>

and say you have 100s of pages in Topic/r:id="Base/General_Information".

If you are using the IDs to build links to your resources and you need
to change a folder name and therefore you need to change the ID of the
resource AND the IDs of ALL the children. If you nest topics and rename
or move things you simply travel up and down the hierarchy to build
things like links.

Make sense?

You need to provide more details on what you are trying to acheive.

best,
-Rob