xsl-list

RE: XSLT-Numerical character entity output

2004-05-26 04:44:28
Hi Steve

I am trying to generate an xhtml+mathml document in which the more
esoteric maths characters are represented in the output by their decimal
numeric entities rather than the character.

All you need to do is specify the output encoding:

<xsl:output encoding="iso-8859-1">

The serialized output will be in that encoding, and any characters which
fall outside of it will be represented with a numerical character reference.
You have no control over whether it is decimal or hex, but I'm pretty sure
Saxon uses the decimals.

Bear in mind that XSLT processors are only *required* to support utf-8 and
utf-16 in output, however most support others.

Hope that helps,

Stuart