xsl-list

RE: Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?

2004-05-19 08:52:16
Sorry, I wasn't being accurate.  I meant is it reasonable to expect
to be left as   when outputting us-ascii.  This is obviously the same
as expecting the two consecutive bytes 0xC2 0xA0 in a utf-8 input stream to
be translated to   for a us-ascii output stream.  I don't see anything
wrong with such an expectation.

Steven

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Thursday, 20 May 2004 1:40 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the
encoded character?

  is it reasonable to expect a processor to leave
  as precisely those characters when outputting in us-ascii.  I believe the
  answer to be yes.

The answer to that question may be yes, but it's not the question faced by
the implementors of the XML serialiser that you are trying to influence with
xsl:output.

& n b s p ; is a macro that is defined in the HTML and XHTML DTDs to be
character 160, that macro is expanded by the XML parser ('cause that's what
they do) so the XSLT engine never sees the nbsp reference, it just sees the
character 160.

So the question is not is it reasonable to leave nbsp as it is, but rather
is it reasonable to translate all characters with code 160 to & n b s p ; on
output. In html output that is explictly reasonable and allowed but not
mandated by the xslt spec.

David

--
The LaTeX Companion