xsl-list

RE: Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?

2004-05-19 08:31:49
Hi David,

The reason for wanting to get this to work is the same as you've stated.  I
want to be able to process the output text with other tools, and the utf-8
was tripping me up, and iso-8859-1 probably will too.  The tools can be
fixed with a little effort but I was just wondering if there existed a way
to get the output how I want it.  However, it seems to be a bug rather than
my lack of understanding (I was hoping it would turn out to be the other way
around).

Are you saying that it's not possible for a processor to output   in a
us-ascii document?  I thought that was the whole point of the
notation -- that it can be represented entirely in us-ascii.  This is what
I've been getting at: is it reasonable to expect a processor to leave
as precisely those characters when outputting in us-ascii.  I believe the
answer to be yes.

Regards,

Steven

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Thursday, 20 May 2004 1:09 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the
encoded character?

1 and do the translation
of non-printable characters to � format myself

Actually why do you care? Any conforming html or xml product will be quite
happy to have the nbsp in utf8 format (and most xml and all html systems
will also accept latin1)

If your processor is translating to ? then that's a bug but a conforming
action on receiving an nbsp and a request to  encoding="us-ascii" would be
to die and say you don't support ascii, only utf 8 and 16 need be supported.
So you may not be any happier with a conforming system.

Despite my question above I do sometimes care and use US-ASCII as output
from saxon (and then post-process with sed to remove the encoding
declaration as I have xml parsers that don't accept US-ASCII and so die on
the first line if that is there). But my question remains, if getting
character data is easy and getting a numeric character refernce is hard, why
not just go with the flow and take the character data.

David

--
The LaTeX Companion
  http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0201362996