xsl-list

Re: killing xslt

2004-05-18 11:41:57
Pieter Reint Siegers Kort wrote:

Joe Fawcett wrote:
"You may find it easier to convert to J#, the tools for doing that seem more
reliable. That's how the MS team moved Quake to .NET. If that's possible you
can then go to MSIL and then back into C# :)"

I've had no experience (yet) by doing so, but we'll take it into serious
consideration. Thanx for your comment.

J# is simply compiler from Java to MSIL code. Only problem is, that J# supports only JDK 1.1.4 which doesn't include JAXP, java.nio and other classes used by Saxon 7. These libraries must be partially rewritten to use .NET libraries as underlying implementation.

This is quite big amount of work, but it is "just" question of time which must be devoted to it.

The problem might be performance, because other similar Java application (no GUI) is 40 % slower after conversion to .NET:

http://xep.xattic.com/lists/xep-support/2045.html

  Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka(_at_)kosek(_dot_)cz     http://www.kosek.cz
        DocBook 18.-19.5.                 XSLT 24.-26.5.
        XML pro vývojáře 7.-8.6.          XSL-FO 16.6.