xsl-list

Re: killing xslt

2004-05-18 11:25:38
Michael Kay wrote:

(1) is not innovative enough to qualify for a PhD project (but of course,
it's not for me to judge what the criteria are at your institution)

(2) translating XSLT 2.0 into 1.0 sounds very difficult to do, because of
the differences in the data model and type system.

(3) would be a very interesting project. XQuery uses the same data model and
type system as XSLT 2.0, and has a subset of the functionality, so compiling
an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet into an equivalent XQuery sounds both feasible and
sufficiently challenging.

(4) is probably too big as a typical PhD project, especially as you will
have to do something innovative along the way, e.g. exploring optimisation
techniques.

Michael, many thanks for your opinions. I will definitively study all possibilities in more depth and then decide which way is the most feasible. I will be definitively publishing running text of my work on-line, so other interested folks can share experience. I will post link here after there will be something to publish :-D

                                        Jirka

  Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka(_at_)kosek(_dot_)cz     http://www.kosek.cz
        DocBook 18.-19.5.                 XSLT 24.-26.5.
        XML pro vývojáře 7.-8.6.          XSL-FO 16.6.