xsl-list

RE: standalone="no"

2004-05-12 07:59:43
Hi Mike,

Let me first commend you on posting a perfect example of exactly what
every posted question should look like.  Clear, concise, presents the
problem in as few sentences as possible, prints only the code pertinent
to the problem at hand, and shows examples of research already done that
still leaves a few questions unanswered.  If I had a gold star for your
forehead it would now be in your possession.  I'll work on that.  In the
mean time...

According to the current recommended XML specification:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-rmd

it states:

"If there are no external markup declarations, the standalone document
declaration has no meaning. If there are external markup declarations
but there is no standalone document declaration, the value "no" is
assumed."

Which I think pretty clearly states that if it is not included then it
is assumed to be no.  With this in mind if a processor shut downs the
processing of an XML document it's not because standalone was set to no.

It's possible for the parser to throw exceptions if it comes across
entity declarations that are invalid in syntax or value but this
wouldn't have anything to do with the value of the standalone attribute
and as such I wouldn't pay attention much anymore to what that
particular attendee has to say at the next meeting ;)

Hope this helps clarify!

Best regards,

<M:D/>