xsl-list

RE: Reading value of passed variable

2004-06-16 19:04:26
Wow, when it rains it pours. Is this question three or four about evaluating a
string as an xpath? Next it will be hailing "how do I put   into my
output".

You should look into the evaluate function in exslt.

Another option would be to describe what you are trying to do and get some
advice from someone on this list. Having a reference to a variable name in your
xml document seems a little sketchy... but I don't know your use case so I can
really only tell you what my gut feels.

Josh
-----Original Message-----
From: Mayo [mailto:mayo(_at_)mayo(_dot_)sk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 4:32 PM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: [xsl] Reading value of passed variable

Hello,

I'm trying to read value of a variable who's name is passed to the xslt
processor as argument.

My source file has something like:
<var name="$somevar"/>

The variable $xsltvar will be defined at the processor's runtime, so it
has some value ("test" just for the sake of example - as if
<xsl:variable name="somevar" select="'test'"/> was used). Now what I'm
trying to do is to have xslt output the value of this variable.

I've tried using <value-of select=""> with selecting the name attribute
from the var node, but to no avail.

<xsl:template match="var">
     <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
</xsl:template>

This, naturally, prints out the name of the variable ("$somevar"), but
I can't get the actual value of the variable.

any ideas?

Thanks,
Mayo