xsl-list

RE: Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem

2004-06-05 11:46:09
The Xalan mailing list is pretty easy to find with google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=xalan+mailing+list

This will get you closer:
http://xml.apache.org/mail.html#xalan-j-users

Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Lay [mailto:blay(_at_)laysercomputing(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 11:26 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Javascript in Xsl using-Xalan-Problem

I can explain why I did it, although I take Michael Kay's point that
there is probably a better forum for the question.  I originally created
JavaScript extension functions to do manipulation of strings within a
document.  In my case I was taking the XML version of an ERwin logical
database model and creating Java code to wrap the database objects
described therein.  The XML ERwin generates is fairly convoluted and so
XSL seemed like the appropriate tool for processing it.  XSL does not
appear to have good string handling though.  I discoved that MSXML
supports JScript and this seemed like a good compromise.  When I
converted my project over from Visual Basic to Java I ran into the
problem that my stylesheets with their embedded JavaScript extension
functions would no longer work.  I am now in the process of converting
all of that string processing code to pure XSL, although I am concerned
that the result will be more complex and thus harder to extend and debug.

Another reason for mixing XSL and a scripting language is that you can
potentially have non-XSL experts manage changes in a large project, much
as you can split web design up into graphical design and data processing
by using Struts (for example) and get the appropriate expertise applied
in those quite different domains.

I will be quite happy to move my question over to the appropriate forum
if someone could provide a path to it.

Thanks,
Barry

Wendell Piez wrote:

Deepak,

Maybe you aren't getting an answer because it isn't clear how your
post relates to XSLT.

Cheers,
Wendell