xsl-list

Re: Yet Another Sorting Problem

2004-07-28 09:48:14
Hi Allin,
  With the help of nodeset function, the problem is
easy to solve. Following stylesheet could be helpful -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:xalan="http://xml.apache.org/xalan";>

<xsl:output method="xml" />

<xsl:template match="/bibliography">
  <xsl:variable name="rtf">
    <xsl:for-each select="book|journalarticle|paper">
      <xsl:element name="{name()}">
        <auhash>
          <xsl:for-each select="authorlist/author">
            <xsl:value-of select="@surname"/>
            <xsl:value-of select="@initials"/>
          </xsl:for-each>
        </auhash>
        <pubdate>
          <xsl:value-of select="pubdate" />
        </pubdate>
        <!-- put anything else -->
      </xsl:element>
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:variable>

  <xsl:for-each select="xalan:nodeset($rtf)/*">
     <xsl:sort select="auhash" />
     <xsl:sort select="pubdate" />

     <!-- do required processing -->
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Regards,
Mukul

--- Allin Cottrell <cottrell(_at_)wfu(_dot_)edu> wrote:
I've consulted the FAQ, but I'm having difficulty
extrapolating to the
answer to this one.

In sorting a bibliography, I want to sort the
elements (e.g. books,
articles) by author's name and publication date.
OK, that's easy.
My problem is handling multiple authors, with the
the number unknown
in advance.  For flexibility in formatting the
authors' names I can't
have them all in one big string; the data-structure
I actually have is
this:

* each bibliography-entry element has an
"authorlist" element.
* an authorlist has one or more "author" elements,
which have
   attributes such as surname, fist name, initials.

The easy solution, if it were available, would be to
wrap the xsl:sort
selection code in an xsl:for-each ranging across the
authors in an
entry's authorlist, but that's forbidden by xsl
syntax.

Next thought: construct on the fly a "grand author
string" by lumping
together the names and initials of all the authors
in an entry's
authorlist, and use this as the sort key for the
entries.

Seems promising, but I haven't managed to implement
it.  What I have
so far is broken -- I realize I can't use
xsl:attribute to do this,
but I'm not sure what I should be using.

<xsl:template match="bibliography">
   <xsl:for-each select="book|journalarticle|paper">
     <xsl:attribute name="auhash">
       <xsl:for-each select="authorlist/author">
         <xsl:value-of select="@surname"/>
         <xsl:value-of select="@initials"/>
       </xsl:for-each>
     </xsl:attribute>