xsl-list

Re: DocBook to plain text - what do you use?

2004-07-28 05:47:57
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:47:47AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
On mar, 2004-07-27 at 23:23 -0500, Paul DuBois wrote:
The DocBook XSL stylesheets can produce FO, HTML, XHTML, ... but
I'm wondering: What's a good way to produce plain text?

My searches thus far turn up things like sgmltools-lite and docbook2X,
but I'm interested in XML DocBook, not SGML DocBook, and I prefer not
to use something that requires Jade or DSSSL.

One option is to use the DocBook stylesheets to produce HTML, then
run that through lynx -dump to generate plain text.  Are there other
useful approaches?  What do *you* do?

If I had to do it once that'd be HTML + lynx -dump.

For anything more repetitive I'd write a custom XSLT stylesheet -
outputing plain text seems a lot easier than the transforms the current
stylesheets do now.

I agree that it seems like it should be much easier.  That's one reason
I'm puzzled that such a thing doesn't seem to exist.

Is it just that no one is interested in producing plain text?  (For example,
to produce README files and such from a distribution's general DocBook
documentation sources?)  Or is the need little enough that lynx -dump
is good enough for people's purposes?

Of course, that depends on your xslt experience and the time you can
allocate. If you need a good control of the outputed text nothing will
beat an XSL IMHO.

True, but naturally I had hoped to avoid writing such a thing myself. :-)

Maybe it'd be easier to write a transform to convert DocBook to atox
format and let atox handle it ...