xsl-list

Re: DOCTYPE causes appearance of unwanted attributes

2004-07-26 19:31:01
Paul DuBois wrote:
The DOCTYPE is correct, but I'm not interested in having the transform
add a bunch of unnecessary verbiage to an already large file.  Having
explicit attributes included with the values that they would have anyway
adds no information.

The parser is *required* to report the default attributes to the
XSLT processor, which, ignorant of their origin in the DTD,
faithfully drops them into the output.

I guess I don't follow.

How does _the parser_ have any idea of what the default attributes
are, given that they do not appear in the input document?

And how does it know what the attributes of _any_ element are, unless
it consults the DTD?

Your options:
- Use a modified DTD without the default attributes.
- Add rules to your style sheet which filters unwanted
  attributes.

Or run xsltproc with the --novalid option, which as I indicated
solves the problem.