xsl-list

Re: DOCTYPE causes appearance of unwanted attributes

2004-07-26 11:01:46
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 04:33:28PM +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
"Paul" == Paul DuBois <paul(_at_)kitebird(_dot_)com> writes:

    Paul> A while back I sent the following message to this list, in
    Paul> which I asked how to prevent xsltproc from adding default
    Paul> element attributes when processing an input document that
    Paul> contains a DOCTYPE declaration.  A few people suggested ways
    Paul> to suppress these, but I have now realized that there is a
    Paul> very simple way to keep the attributes from appearing:

    Paul> Use "xsltproc --novalid" rather than just "xsltproc".  Then
    Paul> xsltproc won't look at the DTD.

    Paul> I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't think of this before,
    Paul> but perhaps by mentioning it here, it will help someone else
    Paul> who has the same problem.

Surely the problem is that you have an unwanted DOCTYPE, not unwanted
attributes?
If the DOCTYPE says that an attribute has a default value, then if
this is inappropriate you have the wrong DOCTYPE.

The DOCTYPE is correct, but I'm not interested in having the transform
add a bunch of unnecessary verbiage to an already large file.  Having
explicit attributes included with the values that they would have anyway
adds no information.