xsl-list

RE: FO: keep strength with larger than a page content

2004-08-21 05:07:00
At 2004-08-20 06:59 +0300, Jarno(_dot_)Elovirta(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:
> At 2004-08-19 16:59 +0300, Jarno(_dot_)Elovirta(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:
> >Simply, is there a way around
> ><http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/keepsNbreaks.html> "[I]n
> XSL-FO 1.0
> >there is no way to have an item that is too long for a page
> begin at the
> >top of a page"?

That's actally a quote from you from the FAQ, and from that I understood that you can't do it in XSL 1.0.

Yes, but your question is a lot more complex than just "force this to the top of a page" (which, indeed, cannot be done in and of itself) ... you specifically talk to the issue of keeping contained content together, which leads to the discussion of keep strength.

where the item body contains e.g. large screen captures and will not fit into a single page. If I set

  fo:list-item-body keep-together="1"
    fo:block keep-together="2"
      fo:block
      fo:external-graphic
    fo:block keep-together="2"
      fo:block
      fo:external-graphic

Then that should take care of it, but because I have no "wrapper blocks" in the item body, so should I then create

  fo:list-item-body keep-together="1"
    fo:block keep-together="2"
      fo:block
      fo:external-graphic
      fo:block
      fo:external-graphic

where the block on line two is there just to define the keep block?

Sounds good to me ... but I haven't tested it because there are no tools ... it was exactly this, a very long list, where I tried to use it only to discover it wasn't supported. At the end of my XSLT and XSL-FO books I have long lists of information (20-60 pages long), and I tried the nested higher values of keeps to keep items from breaking because I was using the same list construct as for short lists.

Also, should one define the keep-together="1" in the list-item or the list-item-body? Both

I do not know ... I'm looking forward to trying it when it is supported.

Good luck, Jarno!

G. Ken Holman                 mailto:gkholman(_at_)CraneSoftwrights(_dot_)com
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc