xsl-list

RE: Problems generating w-circumflex character for HTML output

2004-08-13 04:22:06
Sounds as if you are generating HTML output encoded in UTF-8 but the browser
is displaying it under the impression that it is in iso-8859-1.

Firstly check (with a hex editor) that the HTML is indeed in UTF-8 and that
it has a <meta> tag saying so.

Then try to check what the HTTP headers say when the web server delivers the
document (or is your browser reading it from a local file?). Changing web
server and browser configurations should fix the problem (but don't ask me
exactly how).

The alternative is to try producing the HTML output in iso-8859-1 encoding,
which you can do by adding an encoding attribute to the xsl:output element
on (preferably) the top-level stylesheet module.

Incidentally, all the output produced by your stylesheet is governed by the
xsl:output properties with highest import precedence - there's no linkage
between the module from which the output was generated and the module in
which the xsl:output declaration occurs.

Michael Kay