xsl-list

RE: Preserve HTML formatting when apply-templates in variabl

2004-08-06 08:17:34
David:
Wow!  This works:
    <xsl:copy-of select="$ui_review"/>

Problem solved (and lesson learned).

Question:
Can you think of a sensible use of "disable-output-escaping"?  Wow, thinking
about all the uses I've made of it and now thinking that they all
should/could become copy-of(s).  Hmmmm... thanks for the re-alignment David.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 7:33 AM
To: xsl-list(_at_)lists(_dot_)mulberrytech(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Preserve HTML formatting when apply-templates in
variabl

  The reason I did not include the last template is because I was testing
the
  result of the template match "review" by writing out my variable like
this:

<hr/>
  <xsl:value-of select="$ui_review" disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
<hr/>

bad idea:

Using value-of always produces the _string_value_ and as its a string it
never produces any markup in the result, XSLT coerces element nodes to a
string by forgetting the elements and just taking the character data.

You want copy-of not value-of

secondly it's always a bad idea to use disable-output-escaping. Unless
you are in very special circumstances (such as not producing XML at all)
Then it's almost always a sign of an error in the design somewhere.

David