xsl-list

Re: RE: Small Caps Solution (a bit long)

2004-09-02 16:54:42
hi,
if i understand the problem right, there is a much simpler and shorter
solution without even bothering XSL just with plain CSS which you are using
anyway:

<h1 style="font-variant: small-caps;">A String to Render in Small Caps</h1>

(better to put it in a CSS-class of course...)
This might not be working in every browser, but at least covers a reasonble
amount of them (Moz, IE, Opera, Safari etc).

is that what you were looking for?

cheers
chris
-----------------------------------
Hi, chris,

The trouble is that the font has to have an actual small-caps variant built
into it for that technique to work. As it happens, very few fonts do have a
small-caps variant, which leaves the decision of how to render the string to
the browser. I have read that, with most fonts, most browsers either ignore
the setting or render the string as all caps. I wanted neither of those
results.

So, no, that's not what I sought, but thank you for suggesting it.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services