xsl-list

RE: XSLT 2.0 *and* XSLT 1.0 validation -- how to?

2004-10-25 03:59:41
I wonder why version attribute is there in XSLT in the
first place. In most of the languages known, like Java
or C++, the programmer never specifies language
version number in his/her program. The compiler or
interpreter judges whether the syntax is valid..

Would it not make life simpler for XSLT programmer, if
there is no version attribute.. The
compiler/interpreter should take care of the syntax
validity?

Regards,
Mukul

--- Michael Kay <mike(_at_)saxonica(_dot_)com> wrote:

Is it still a worthwhile addition in 2.0?

We wouldn't want to remove something that's already
in 1.0.

Given that you've already got version on LREs, I
think generalizing it so
you can put the version attributes on top-level
elements such as
xsl:template does make sense: it's less work for the
implementor to allow it
everywhere than to have complex rules about where it
can appear, and it's a
lot more useful for users at the template level than
at the LRE level. We
also have a number of statically scoped attributes
such as
xpath-default-namespace and it makes sense for them
all to have the same
rules.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/