xsl-list

Re: firefox xslt processing instruction

Bryan Rasmussen

Quoting David Carlisle <davidc(_at_)nag(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:

  at work I get this error from Firefox:
  Error loading stylesheet: An XSLT stylesheet does not have an XML
mimetype:

That (usually) means that you are loading the file from an http server and
it
doesn't have an xml mime type (eg it is being served with text/html or
text/plain) in which case you need to change your server config
"Content Type"="application/xslt+xml"
I don't think a +xml type for xsl is registered (yet) I'd stick to
application/xml
which works everywhere I've tried it.

no it's local file system, hence my referring in the original email to
so I changed my registry settings: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xsl]
@="xslfile"
"Content Type"="application/xslt+xml"
also tried several other variations, for example
xml+xslt, text/xsl and so forth, no change in the error message.

or (less likely) you have things set up on your machine so that local
files with extension .xsl are treated as non-xml, in which case you need
to change the local settings on your machine.
however this does not seem to have helped.

the original value of Content Type was text/xsl, I have also attempted it with
text/xml just for a laugh, plus every other encoding mentioned up there,
application/xml inclusive.

I have also attempted changing the default value of the .xsl key to be
xsltfile,
and xmlfile, instead of the normal xslfile, it is however xslfile at my house,
which is what it generally is after all. one thing that could be causing the
difference here I suppose is that I have xml spy instead at work, and I not at
home. I think that is the only difference that could be considered likely to
affect the situation. When I try to open default.xsl in firefox it tells me
"you
are attempting to open a file of type xslfile what would you like to do" if I
choose to open it in its 'default application' which I just did and I don't
think I will again today, it starts up an infinite loop that crashes both my
browsers, in other words it tries to have IE open the xslfile because at work
IE
is my default browser (for some reason required) now what method is being used
for this I am uncertain but first the IE window gets the focus, then a file
download messagebox opens real quick, and closes, then IE gets the focus, then
file download messagebox opens real quick, and so on and so forth. it was
pretty
funny, as infinite loops go.
My xslfile Open verb was "C:\Programmer\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
-nohome
however it should be noted that the Edit_with_XML_Spy verb is also under this
key.

there is a key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xslfile\BrowseInPlace which is empty. That
could also be problematic I suppose.

I will attempt later, perhaps tomorrow to achieve the same effect with various
forms of Content Type and Key  Default settings to see if it will malfunction
the same in all situations, but right now I am very on edge and don't dare too.
plus I should go to training and kick some people around for mental therapy
reasons. :)

I installed the newest version of Firefox this morning, however I did the same
at my house last night, the difference between these installations would be
that
the installation at my house was a clean install and the one from this morning
was updating.

So my feeling is:

1. it could be a firefox bug.
2. it could have something to do with xmlspy somehow.