xsl-list

RE: unwanted xmlns="" attribute

2004-10-04 02:55:26

From an idealogical perspective it may very well be
unconventional to do
this, I'm trying to define a generic XSLT library that can be
imported
across all Syndication formats. RSS 0.91 is not namespace
qualified whereas
1.0 is.

Generally the imported modules mean the same things though
they do not have
to, any thoughts?

Yes, I forgot that oddity of RSS. I would propose using a pipeline approach:
if you find RSS 0.91, first do a transform step that adds the namespaces,
then the rest of the transformation can be written on the basis that the
namespaces are there. A series of simple transformations is generally better
than a complex one that tries to handle everything at once.

A transformation to add namespaces is a simple variant of the identity
transform:

<xsl:template match="*">
 <xsl:element name="{local-name()}" namespace="...">
  <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
 </
</