xsl-list

Re: unwanted xmlns="" attribute

2004-10-01 07:56:35

This is a FAQ (which I think MK answered within the last couple of days
for someone else)

  In my included file I have:

  <xsl:template match="test" mode="testy">
        <help/>
  </xsl:template>

If the default namespace in that stylesheet is no-namespace that
generates an element with local name help in no-namespace so in the
result doc it has to appear as
<rdf:RDF xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/";
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";
xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";>
        <help xmlns=""/>

as ootherwise the unprefixed element would denote an element with local
name hello in the namespace xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/

If in fact you are want to generate elements in the RSS namespace
add xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/"; to your imported stylesheet
so that
<xsl:template match="test" mode="testy">
        <help/>
</xsl:template>

generates an element with local name hello in the namespace
http://purl.org/rss/1.0/

then the result will appear as

<rdf:RDF xmlns="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/";
xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/";
xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";>
        <help/>

which is what you asked for although it looks odd as <help/> isn't
defined for the RSS namespace as far as I know.

David

http://www.star.net.uk