xsl-list

Re: expression syntax

2004-11-15 07:10:05

Yeah, the "2004-11-15" not being considered a number I knew, but without
referencing the spec I was unsure of the exact nature of the number
function and what the intended primary purpose was.

... which, BTW, doesn't compare true in any comparison with anything,
including itself.

Wait, are you refering to attember a cast to a number and then
comparing?  Obviously if compared to another string of equal value it
would evaluate to true... or am I missing something that is important to
understand in the comparison of this particular string?

yes the string is equal to itself but
number("2004-11-15")
 is not equal to
number("2004-11-15")

as they are both NaN and NaN compares false with everything (with any
comparison operator).  This is why one way of testing if @foo contains a
numeric value is to test
test="number(@foo)=number(@foo)"

David