xsl-list

Re: Conflicting templates?

2004-12-17 06:57:49
would make my life a lot more awkward...

I think in the long run relying on the position of the templates in the
file will make your life harder, almost every otherfeature in xslt is
designed so that the top level constructs in a stylesheet may be placed
in any order, re-arranged by code beautifiers, etc, When something goes
wrong (as in the OP's case) it is much harder to see which template is
being applied.

variables as well? import also?

Of course in the usual case you write templates first without priority
but if you get a warning of a template conflict I think it's always good
practice to make a concious decision about which one you want to win and
then give that one a high priority.

I am usually not getting any warnings. But I am well aware of what I am doing. If I want one of two templates to win, I simply put it last in order. I'm accustomed to this method. I always put most generic ones on top. I'm working with an other language that matches regexp like patterns. In that language you don't have any other choice than to base priority on the order of the rules. Quite logical if you are used to it...

And I never use editors that mess with the layout.. :)