xsl-list

Re: problem using dyn:evaluate with MSXML

2004-12-16 10:09:15

  Also, what is the recommended way to define an empty string-valued
  variable?

  <xsl:variable name="foo"/>
  <xsl:variable name="foo" select="''"/>
  <!-- or something else? -->

They are equivalent, XSLT spec special cases the situation of no select
attribute and no content and says it makes an emty string (rather than
an empty rtf)

What is the recommended way to define a string-valued variable computed
by a conditional instruction?  Here's an example from a stylesheet I'm
working on:

without doing some very hairy Xpath to move the condition into the
select expression you pretty much have to use xsl:choose (xsl 2 of
course you could use Xpath2 if () then ... else .. inside a select
expression)

on the face of it if you often use the variable it would be worth
forcing a one-off coersion to string so

<xsl:variable name="temp">
 <xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>
<xsl:variable name="source" select="string($temp)"/>

However if I suggest that, Mike is bound to say that saxon can spot if an
RTF variable is always used as a string and so optimises away its
internal node structure. so doing this explictly makes no difference.

David